Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Where Are My File Extensions

Due to some seriously strict email servers, I was unable to send a .zip file in an email. It was being blocked by the individual I was sending it to's server (poor English).

The easy solution was to rename my file james.zip to james.allow, faking the mail server out so it wouldn't be blocked. On the other end, the user could just alter it back from james.allow to james.zip and bam, problem solved.

However I was unable to rename my file in Windows using the right click -> rename feature. If I changed the file james.zip to james.allow, it would call it james.allow.zip. Being ignorant to all things simple, I was unaware that Windows hides the file extensions from you by default.

The way to add those file extensions into your file names, so you can rename the file extension, is to go into Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->View (tab) and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" box. Once you do this, all your files (with extensions) will appear and you can rename james.zip to james.allow to successfully get it across.

No comments:

Post a Comment